John Boehner is speaking at OSU Graduation. I’m proud to see students creatively responding:
Boehner’s Budget eliminates good jobs and green jobs for grads at a time when youth unemployment is twice the national average.
• Boehner’s Budget would eliminate or drastically cut Americorps, destroying more than 75,000 jobs for young people who want to serve their fellow citizens.
• Clean energy research and development and loans would disappear or downsize significantly, along with the new jobs they create in areas like wind and solar energy and battery-powered car development.
Slashes job training at a time when young workers need it most.
• By rolling back funding for education and job training to 2008 levels, Boehner will keep students from learning the skills they need to find a job.
• This makes no sense at a time when more than 80% of jobs now require some kind of post-high school training. This generation needs more training, not less to thrive in the 21st century economy.
Boehner’s Budget cuts funding that helps the lowest income students go to college.
• The neediest college students would lose $2,350 in Pell grant aid next school year and
more than 1.4 million students will be ineligible for grants entirely.3
• This is the wrong time to cut Pell grants as states raise tuition and reduce funding for higher education. Pell grants only cover about a third of the cost of attending college as it
Boehner’s Budget takes away health insurance for young people and increases our costs of care.
The Budget will repeal the health reform law. This will mean:
• You can’t stay on your parent’s insurance until age 26.
• Low-income adults won’t get help paying for high-cost individual insurance.
• People with asthma, diabetes, or other pre-existing conditions could be unable to get insurance.